National Day of Action for SGR Repeal
After 16 SGR patches, it’s time to finally bring stability to Medicare by ending the flawed formula once and for all!
Help us deliver that message by taking part in our national call-in day on Wednesday, March 5. Many of your physician colleagues will be in Washington, D.C. visiting their legislators that day as part of the AMA’s National Advocacy Conference, and we want the phones ringing off the hook as they visit Capitol Hill advocating for an end to the flawed SGR.
Never called your legislator’s before? Don’t worry, we’ve made it simple:
- Call the AMA’s grassroots hotline at (800) 833-6354 and press 1 when prompted.
- Enter your zip code to be matched to your representative and senators.
- Select the legislator to whose office you would like to be connected.
That’s it! The hotline will automatically connect you with your legislator’s office. If you need some ideas on what to say, please make use of the talking points below.
- Mention you are a physician in the district concerned about the future of Medicare.
- The Medicare sustainable growth rate (SGR) formula is widely acknowledged to be a policy failure.
- Repealing the SGR is the fiscally responsible choice.
- Now a bipartisan, bicameral process involving three congressional committees has produced agreement on a new policy framework that repeals the SGR and creates a pathway to a higher-performing Medicare program.
- Congress must seize this opportunity and act before March 31, when the SGR calls for a 24 percent across-the-board cut in Medicare physician payments.
- Tell Congress to consponsor and work to pass H.R. 4015/ S. 2000.